Peter McIntyre leads a research group who develop new physics and technology for future particle accelerators and applications of their technology for significant frontiers in energy and biotechnology.
Textured-powder Bi-2212 superconducting wire for high-performance high-field magnet windings:
- Bi-2212 is the only one of the high-temperature superconducting ceramics that has been fabricated into round wires.
- It is ground to a fine powder and loaded into silver tubes, then drawn and re-stacked to make multi-filament wires.
- Superconductivity in all HTS
Conformal Windings of REBCO HTS Superconducting Tape for UHF Dipoles for Future Hadron Colliders
- Conforms the REBCO tapes so that the anisotropic property of the tape is optimized for maximum critical current
- Allows for development of HTS magnets with lowest cost available
Nb3Sn SuperCIC Outsert Winding for UHF Hybrid Dipole
- Utilizes the SuperCIC design developed by this lab, Accelerator Technology Corporation, and HyperTech
- Raises the magnetic field achievable – Nb3Sn is limited to ~15 T – from the limit of NbTi – ~8 T – cables of same design